pan-Canadian Pharmaceutical Alliance (pCPA): Negotiation Status Update
The April 30, 2018 update has been issued by the pan-Canadian Pharmaceutical Alliance. The key highlights since the last update are:
- Seven new drug products have initiated pCPA negotiations, for a total of 46 active negotiations;
- One negotiation was completed (none closed), for a total of 208 joint completed/closed negotiations; and
- No new drug products were added to the “No pCPA Negotiations” list, for a total of 58 products for which the pCPA has declined to negotiate – collectively or at the provincial-territorial level.
- Seven new drug products have initiated pCPA negotiations since the last update, for a total of 46 active negotiations
|Brand Name||Generic Name||Manufacturer||Indication||Recommendation/
Notification to Implement Date
|Time to Initiation* (days)
|Adlyxine||Lixisenatide||Sanofi-aventis Canada Inc||Diabetes mellitus, Type 2||November 23, 2017||143|
|Ilaris||Canakinumab||Novartis Pharmaceuticals||Systematic juvenile idiopathic arthritis||June 17, 2016||N/A|
|Izba||Travoprost||Novartis Pharmaceuticals||Open angle glaucoma||October 25, 2017||172|
|Renflexis||Infliximab||Merck Canada||Inflammatory Conditions||February 20, 2018||54|
|Rexulti||Brexpiprazole||Otsuka-Lundbeck||schizophrenia||November 22, 2017||144|
|Tresiba||Insulin degludec||Novo Nordisk Canada Inc.||Diabetes mellitus, type 1 and 2||November 20, 2017||146|
|Viacoram||Perindopril arginine/amlodipine||Servier Canada Inc.||Essential hypertension||October 26, 2016||N/A|
*Approximation: Negotiation initiation date assumed to be mid-month for the purposes of the calculation
Of the 7 files initiating negotiations this month, two had previously been considered and declined by pCPA; Ilaris in January 2017 and Viacoram in July 2017. In addition, the pCPA has initiated negotiations on a third GLP-1 product (Adlyxine) while talks continue on both Trulicity and Victoza. Finally, a couple of negotiations with implications for biosimilars – Renflexis is the second infliximab biosimilar to be negotiated while Tresiba is the first long-acting insulin product to enter that therapeutic space, post-biosimilar entry (Basaglar).
While the chart above considers all files (including pCPA-initiated negotiations) under pCPA management, the chart below focuses on the rate at which pCPA is initiating files coming through the HTA process and into the “pCPA Consideration” phase.
- One negotiation was completed (none closed) since the last update, for a total of 208 joint completed/closed negotiations.
|Brand Name||Generic Name||Manufacturer||Indication||Negotiation Initiation||Duration *|
|Kyleena||Levonorgestrel||Bayer||Prevention of pregnancy||September, 2017||212 days|
*Approximation: Negotiation initiation and completion date assumed to be mid-month for the purposes of the calculation
Files Under pCPA Consideration
In addition to the monthly updates to the pCPA website, MORSE Consulting tracks the number of products “under pCPA Consideration” which have been reviewed by CADTH but have not yet been initiated for negotiation or closed without negotiations.
- Six new drug products received a CDEC or pERC recommendation or notification to implement in April 2018, for a total of approximately 28 products under pCPA Consideration.
|Brand Name||Generic Name||Manufacturer||Indication||Final Recommendation/
Notification to Implement
|Alecensaro||Alectinib||Hoffmann-La Roche Limited||Locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (second line)||Conditional Reimbursement|
|Bavencio||Avelumab||EMD Serono – Pfizer Alliance||metastatic Merkel Cell Carcinoma||Conditional Reimbursement|
|Vectibix||Panitumumab||Amgen Canada Inc.||Left Sided Metastatic Colorectal Cancer||Does not Recommend|
|Ocrevus||Ocrelizumab||Hoffman La Roche||Primary progressive multiple sclerosis||Conditional Reimbursement|
|MDK-nitisinone||Nitisinone||MendeliKABS Inc||Hereditary tyrosinemia type 1||Conditional Reimbursement|
|Monoprost||Latanoprost||Laboratoires Thea||Glaucoma and ocular hypertension||Conditional Reimbursement|
No pCPA Negotiation
- No new drug products were added to the “No pCPA Negotiations” list, for a total of 58 products for which the pCPA has declined collective or provincial/territorial-level negotiations.
To receive updates similar to this one please be sure to sign up for MORSE Signals, our free e-mail newsletter service.